Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thankful




We spent an intense three days visiting the War Remnatnts Museum and Cu Chi Tunnels in Vietnam, and then the Killing fields and Tuol Sleng genocide museum in Cambodia. I can't find a gruesome enough word to discribe some of the images we witnessed during these 72 hours. My eyes sweltered with tears on countless occations as I saw the traps that ceased the lives of so many Americans in Vietnam, or seeing pictures and standing right next to some of the thousands of Vietnamese who are disfigured and handicap because of the toxic chemicals left behind from the war. It was extremely dishearting and frustrating to hear our tour guide talk about all the family members he lost during the Pol Pot Regime, or how difficult it was to see picture after picture of the some 10,000 Cambodians that we tourtured and killed at the Tuol Sleng Prison. There really was no better way to realize all the things I am thankful for than to come face to face with the images that you are so grateful aren't your own reality. I usually use Thanksgiving as a time to reflect on how thankful I am for the life and opportunities I have, but spending Thanksgiving in Southeast Asia, and becoming engulfed in the hardships and realities of some many of the citizens of these countries, truely brought a new meaning for how enternally grateful I am for all of the things in my life.




I am thankful for the fact that I have never had to worry about stepping on a landmine.


I am thankful that I've never had to worry about my family members or own children one day being affected by chemicals left behind from war.


I am thankful that I've never known what it is like to go to bed hungry.


I am thankful that my house is a solid stucture with air, heat, a western toliet, and hot water!


I am thankful that I haven't been desensitized to the horrorific images of war and genocide, and that they envok an emotion so strong in me that I will always believe that the loss of human life should be the last resort to solve conflict.


I am thankful that I have never lived under a Communist government.


I am thankful that I have the opportunity to get a college degree, and that I have access to endless amounts of informations.


I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to travel and explore this amazing world!


I am thankful for all of my interactions with foreigners that have given me new insight into many ideas, cultures, and religions.


I am thankful for my bestest friend in the whole wide world who has been there for me through every triump and failure, every issue big or small, and every tear and laugh for the past 14 years.


I am thankful that somehow she finds the patience and tolerance to put up with almost every second of everyday as we travel together through foreign land, half a world away from all that is familar.


I am thankful that I have an amazing network of family and friends to return home to!!!

1 comment:

twondra said...

Love your list! How sweet. (((HUGS)))